Maybe I'm insensitive to severe weather because I've lived in Oklahoma my entire damn life, but unless there's a giant fucking tornado coming to eat my house, I do not want second-by-second updates on a goddamn thunderstorm.
It's a thunderstorm. Heavy rain, flashes of light, crashing thunder. Don't go out in it. Got it.
Now, can you fucking get on with Lost?
Steph and I were sitting there on the couch watching the season finale (DVR-delayed on account of the baby). We got to the 1:29ish mark of the show, the last half hour left to go. Every commercial break, the weather douches would break in with reports on the thunderstorm. Well, this time, they didn't break off at the end of two minutes and go back to Lost. This time, they just kept on playing with their radar screens.
You know, back when I was a kid, we made do with the little scrolling text bars across the bottoms of our screens. This was before shit like "Advantage Doppler 3D." Now, they can just roll live radar cartoons on the screen, stand in front of their green screens, and pass the mic back and forth like Paul and Dave on Letterman.
"Norman, you're still out ahead of this thunderstorm, and there doesn't look like a tornado, but there are still going to be strong winds and hail."
DUDE. Just about any fucking idiot knows not to go play in a big thunderstorm. We don't need solid hours of thunderstorm coverage.
I'm sitting here writing this at 10:45. That means they've been doing nothing but weather for the last hour and 15 minutes.
Ugh. Now they're talking about power outages. And the freaking lead weatherman just had to take a break to change the fucking batteries on his mic.
Again, if there's a tornado coming, by all means, break into my show and let the sirens scream. If there's not... please, spare me. Now I have to track down the last half hour of Lost on abc.com. I don't really want to watch TV on my computer monitor. I'd rather see it on my Aquos. That's why they call it television.
But it begs the question? How much storm coverage do we really need?
Other Questions
Why do flights get more expensive closer to the date of departure? Isn't that counter-intuitive? Wouldn't you think that as a date gets closer, the airline companies would start doing deals on unsold seats so as to facilitate the filling of the flight? You lose money on an empty seat, so what kind of sense does it make to charge more for the empties?
4 comments:
At the last minute there will always be desperate people who will pay higher rates to get that flight.
And amen to the weatherman rant. I can't stand weathermen in Oklahoma. Queue The Daily Show's bit about Gary England...
that's stiill counter intuitive to filling the plane up.
I am totally with you on the weather deal. Out here in Socal if it rains 2 or 3 days in a row, we get:
FLOOD WATCH!!!
Fucking asshats.
I still need to book the my flight and the hotel for Chi-Town. I was hoping for some more flight deals..
FAIL.
I want to kick Dan Threkeld in the nuts, and I will if I ever run into him in public. Channel 2 will break in with severe weather threatening viewers in Arkansas. Fuck Arkansas. Let Little Rock inform those assholes.
The best was one Saturday night I was watching the last 10 minutes of Saturday Night Live and they broke in with a tornado warning. The weatherman started advising people in the path of the storm (no where near Tulsa) to seek shelter. I thought, dude the only people watching this besides me are stoners.
Rumor has it KTUL is petitioning ABC to let them re-air the whole finale of Lost.
How often do you see an airplane pull away from the gate with empty seats?
Post a Comment