Monday, February 11, 2008

Bad Night

So last night, I've got Kaia up for the 3am feeding. I'm pretty much wrecked at that point. I'd fed her at midnight and then got back up for the 3.

We go through the routine, change the diaper, take the temperature, etc. We settle in for the bottle. I offer it, she takes it, starts sucking away. Little did I know, she didn't have her tongue under the nipple; meaning, she was taking nothing.

I notice this after about 10, 15 minutes.

I take it out, wipe her little chin, try again. Again, it seems like all's good. And it's testament to how tired I am that I didn't notice that, still, she wasn't taking any of the milk.

We try it again. Same thing. I can't get her to get her freaking tongue under the nipple. This is basically half an hour of her with a bottle-shaped pacifier, the end result of which is that we're both exhausted and no closer to our goal.

I started to lose it. I just had this sudden irrational anger (no, I didn't do anything to the baby; don't even think that). All the weight of being up and exhausted crashed down on my head. I started obsessing about work, about how Kaia's too congested to breathe through her nose, how I'm totally exhausted, how she wasn't eating.

I said aloud, "goddammit."

And then I got up and woke poor Steph. She'd been asleep for probably an hour, hour and a half. She's just as exhausted as I am, and she'd had her freak-out breakdown about three hours prior. But she woke up like a champ, took the baby and remained calm.

She said, "Cory, go to bed."

I said, "I can't. I have to feed Kaia so you can sleep."

"Go to bed."

At this point, I almost started to cry. I just dropped my head into my hands and mini-hyperventilated. When I looked up, Steph had it under control. Kaia was eating, finally, and at least all was good there. But you have to understand, that was a moment of pure failure on my part. I didn't get my baby fed. I didn't let my wife, my beautiful, strong and exhausted wife, rest. I'm supposed to be taking care of them. That's my only job.

I went to bed. Steph came to talk to me after Kaia had finished eating (not a full feeding, but she did all right). I hadn't been sleeping. I'd been laying there, seething. Angry at my boss. Angry at the people who could've helped me get the magazine finished on time but didn't. I was so angry I had to make myself take deep breaths.

This morning, as I had to abandon Steph to take care of Kaia alone (Steph's mom left for home yesterday), I felt competely worthless. Like I'm not doing my job as a father. And I'm so resentful of my job that I can't go home and take care of my family, it just makes me that much more angry that people aren't doing what they've told me they would.

I want to beat someone with a chair. Someone at work, of course. I just want to go home, try to get some rest and make sure my wife and baby are okay. This other bullshit seems so trivial to me, and yet... I have to do it.

This is so fucked up.

(deep breaths, deep breaths).

Sorry, guys, just had to vent.

The Real Update
Kaia is doing awesome. Her cheeks are getting chubby and she's maintaining her temperature pretty well.

She has a lot of nose congestion, however. We keep having to put saline drops down her (allegedly, it breaks loose the stuff in her nose), and then suck it out with the blue nose sucker thing. Unfortunately, it's too big for her nostrils, so it doesn't do a helluva lot of good.

We ordered some smaller ones from Babies R Us, but we're having to wait for them to get here in the mail. Ugh.

When she's really congested and trying to sleep or eat, her nose sort of honks. Sounds like a short version of an adult snore. I've taken to calling her "Little Honk." I feel so bad for the kid. I wish she could blow her nose. :(

I know it'll get better, I'm just too tired to apply the proper perspective.

8 comments:

Okjerm said...

I had my "blue nose sucker thing" up until I moved out of mom's house. It was kept in the back of my bathroom drawer. I used to use it as a water gun as a kid when I took baths... right up until I moved out of mom's house.

Making the baby is easy, parenting is where the men are separated from the assholes. You're bound to make mistakes along the road of Kaia growing up. You've never done anything like this before. Lucky for her you're not the type to take failure lying down.

As for the job, they can't really fire you for hitting someone with a chair can they? Even if it's an intern?

Anonymous said...

It'll get better. The first four weeks are hellish and then it gradually improves. One day you wake up and realize that you've had 4-6 hours of interuppted sleep. It is amazing how restfully a few hours can seem. Just hang in there.

I'd be happy to loan Dave to you for chair beatings though...

Melissa

Anonymous said...

We will be there this weekend and try to help!

I'll be sure to grab a lotto ticket at the store tonight so I can solve our money problems and you guys can stay home with her.

Carrie said...

You are just exhausted. Never take it as failure. Someday, you will look back at this and laugh.

greenGuru said...

I can't speak for Steph here, but I don't think you failed at all. Parenting is a sometimes hellishly complicated game that is best played by two people. Sometimes you need a backup and you've got a hell of a partner to sub for you.

Sounds like a rough night, but I won't read any more into it than just that. From what I've heard and read, you're doing a great job as a father.

cyclefreaks said...

of course i don't think he failed. I'd had a breakdown earlier that he had to rescue me from. I really don't know how anyone can do this alone. I thought it was hard before, but now that I am experiencing it, I just can't imagine. Thank goodness for friends and family.

Anyway, Little Honk is stirring, gotta run. ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to get up with jeremy for his middle of the night feeding during his early days on earth. I considered it a "Bonding" experience...just him, me, and the bottle in the darkness. I can remember sometimes squeezing the plastic bottle to accelerate his intake so I could go back to bed :) but I absolutely treasured the moments. I am sure you will too.- Mike

Okjerm said...

Good lord! No wonder I eat so fast.