I think I've mentioned before that Steph isn't really into valentine's day. Usually, we'll go out to dinner and rent a movie and that's about the extent of it. Some years, I get her flowers, others, not so much. I try to keep her off her guard.
You guys are out there thinking, "She says she doesn't like valentine's day, but really she does and you're a dumb man."
That's another possibility.
But consider this: This morning, we get up late for Kaia's 8am feeding. Because we're exhausted, that's why. Anyway, we go through the whole change/feed/pump routine, and in the middle, I hug Steph, kiss her on the head and say, "Happy Valentine's Day." She returns the favor.
Then I go get ready for work.
By the time I've gotten out of the shower, Steph's back in bed, her arm sticking out from under the covers and resting on Kaia's legs. Kaia is snoozing away in her car seat and actually not looking like she's straining to poop. All's good.
I touch steph on the hip.
"Hey, I gotta go to work."
She says, "I want chocolate and a nap for Valentine's Day."
"Okay."
haha. Anyway, so I'm heading out in a bit for chocolate and she'll get her nap later.
Kaia
She's still doing pretty good. She threw up a couple of times yesterday after feedings. I'm blaming the nasty vitamins we have to feed her.
Past that, she's still got her congestion and she's (I'm pretty sure) still gaining weight. She's actually starting to put on her baby fat.
I know Steph's been taking pictures. Head over to her blog to see them. I'm sure she'll be putting them up.
The last couple of nights haven't been a serene sleigh ride through the snowy forest either. The night after my breakdown, Steph sorta had one. She woke me up at 4am and told me she was too tired to continue and Kaia was wide awake. I was doing the 5:00 feeding anyway, so I got up and took the baby to the red recliner in the living room.
Managed to prop her up with the Bobby in such a way that I was holding her and she could sleep and was in no danger of being dropped. I sort of napped with her until 5, then fed her, then held her until she fell back asleep. That ended up being at 6:10 or so. I then took a 30 minute nap, got back up, showered, and went to interview OSU's new Offensive Coordinator at 7:30am.
That was a long, bad day.
On the plus side, the night after, I managed four hours of sleep (thanks, Steph) and felt like a million dollars. I'm thinking I might already be adjusting to this. I feel okay, mostly, during the day. It's at night that the exhaustion is almost painful.
I'm writing this to get it out, not to complain. I don't feel, as a new parent, it's my right to complain about it. This is the job. It's a rite of passage. So commiserate with me, but don't pity me or feel sorry for me, and don't take my words as those of complaint. I'm not complaining. I'm describing.
The way out is through.
This Blog
I keep wondering what it's going to be like when I start posting non-baby related stuff again. Like nerd stuff like home networking and NAS, rants about this and that (Clinton being vilified by the media), and other misc. debris. I imagine when that stuff starts showing up again, you'll be bailing outta here like rats on the Titanic.
6 comments:
LOL, are you kidding? You've got a mostly male audience. They are dying for you to get back to your nerd posts.
I miss the nerd chats. /sniff.
There's a fucking Indy 4 trailer out there, man! Whips, planes, punches that sound like meat getting slapped and Harrison Ford in the middle of it all. Where's the comment on that?!
Who the fuck cares. I live the nerd posts, I want to hear about the experience of being a dad.
I can get trailers and witty remarks about nerd goodness anywhere else. I can't hear about the journey of the father of my niece anywhere else...
I prefer the softer side of Cory. I don't know why but I just do. I guess baby talk jus makes me smile more than it makes me think.
I also claim to not like vday. I just don't want any hassles for anyone plus people get crazy. I think chocolates and a nap is perfect. Much better than wined & dined and jeweled.
I will never get tired of hearing about her, ever.
I live with a nerd so I get that stuff everyday.
You've got to be the most awesome husband ever. Damn, my man needs to take lessons from you. He's an insensitive bastard. Can you make a list of some pointers, e.g. How To Be a Real Man?
You are actually concerned about taking care of your wife and child and think that is your JOB, how amazing.
You're doing a GREAT job, at least it sounds that way from here. You have a beautiful family. Nerd posts can wait - when the baby is old enough to entertain herself, you can drown the rest of us in those. Until then - BABY info!!!
Post a Comment