Friday, February 08, 2008

The Cable is a Lie

Personally, I bought my HDMI cables for like $14 from Amazon. But this kind of shit doesn't surprise me.

Those Monster Cables Best Buy and co. try to sell you? yeah, 80% markup for no performance difference. Fool's gold.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

When I worked at Sam Goody (a subdivision of Best Buy at the time, about 5 years ago), we were told to push the Monster cables. They called them profit items. Essentially anything peripheral that isn't hardware or software is considered a profit item. Cables, batteries, storage items, blank media, whatever; the company pays nearly nothing for them and then marks them up by 80%. I think Monster's the worst of them seeing as how they claim to be of superior quality when the generic version works just as well.

But then electronics stores aren't the only ones. Anyone paid $6 for a Coke at the movie theater lately?

And for the record, if anyone needed cables I always steered them toward the generic ones. Unless they were a douche-bag, then they got the Monsters.

cyclefreaks said...

lol, way to go Steve. Push the crap on the douche. :)Awesome.

Thanks for the monkey and the gift card, by the way. :)