Friday, February 22, 2008

1 mo.

Kaia turned one month old this morning.

Holy hell. How'd that go by so fast?

She's actually having trouble today. She's not going to the bathroom like she has been. The "book" tells us not to be concerned about that until we hit the 24 hr mark. That'll be tomorrow morning. She has all night to get back to being "regular." She's eating well, so that's not really the issue.

Being a first-time parent is scary as hell. You don't know what to react to, or what the measured response should be. Just how freaked out do I need to be when my little girl isn't going to the bathroom like she has been? And, of course, we're going into the weekend, which I assume means a trip to the Emergency Room should we get too freaked out.

I wonder if they give first-time parent freak-out discounts at the ER.

But that one-month milestone. I've been awake for most of it, which is weird, then, when I think that it's pretty much just instantly evaporated. I can't really believe that it's been a month. Sure, if I stop and break it down, yeah, a lot has gone on. All the trips to OKC. All the nights in hotels and hospital rooms. It's just been so dense with activity.

Still, she's okay and gaining weight and we're managing, apart from the do-we-freak-out-or-not thing.

So there's that. Happy one-month, Kaia.

Of course, with preemies, they are really measured by what was actually supposed to be their birthday, so as we approach the 27th, we can figure that this is what she would've weighed and this is how much she would've been eating, etc.

I'd post a picture, but I don't have anything more recent than the bathtime shots over on Steph's blog.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Kaia!

Anonymous said...

The time does fly with the babies.
Rachel had a bathroom issue as a newborn. Didn't have a bm for almost a week when she was about a week and a half old. We took her to the dr. who "made" her poop. I didn't look but Dave did and I guess it was pretty grim. I was a nervous wreck (as a second time parent) and was pretty sure that I had done something wrong to make her not go. For a long time (about 6 weeks) she was what could only be called irregular but now is fine.

I swear, you blink and they're all grown up. Breaks my heart.

You guys are doing such a great job. Hang in there.
-dave's other half

Anonymous said...

Hey Cory- Tyler and I have been reading your posts about Kaia. Alex had/has horrible reflux. He still takes medicine for it and right around his first birthday we went to the ER several times because of vomitting..it was just reflux. He also had/has regularity issues and I think it is because of the reflux. We also dealt with colic for the first 5 months. I had to make alot of changes to my diet with the reflux/colic, which really helped. We can so remember the freak outs and self-doubt. We would be happy to share some of our tricks with you if your ever interested. Just wanted to put that out there.

Kelly

Angie said...

My son Tommy had a poop once a week. Every Thursday. This went on for months.

I had another child, Kimberly, who pooped once every four days.

Breastmilk-fed babies digest their food almost entirely - so many of them do not poop as often as formula-fed babies. I FREAKED OUT about this. I did enemas. I fed corn syrup. I took babies to the ER, spent hundreds on MRIs and got prescription suppositories.

All to learn through trial and error that unless they spike a fever, their belly gets hard and they scream uncontrollably with their legs curled against their stomachs, they are not dealing with a blockage. (This did happen to my son, too, when he was three - so trust me here.)

Poop issues can be scary. Relax a little though... and remember, a book is working on generalities, averages and whatever the authors considered "normal." Your baby is a unique individual as all babies are. She's not ever going to be just like a book says she should. Your anxieties will transfer to her through your emotions, though... so be calm... and remember she will let you know if something is REALLY wrong.

(((HUGS))) to your beautiful baby and your whole wonderful family.