Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Monday Update on Tuesday

Kaia was removed from her McDonald's Fry Lamp bed and put into what they are calling a "crib," though it's really just a giant, baby-bed shaped Pyrex bowl sitting atop a wooden dresser. The long and short of this is that they are not having to regulate her temperature anymore and that she's much less jaundiced than before.

What we're hoping is that she'll be more rested and possibly awake when we try to feed her. She was a little better with the bottle feedings yesterday than she was on Sunday, though not a whole lot. Our nurse last night was going to tube feed her two in a row and give her six or so hours of uninterrupted sleep. Let's hope that worked.

She has gained a bunch of her weight back. She's back up to 4 pnds., 5-6 oz. She was down to 4-1 or so, right on the edge of not weighing enough to leave.

Pretty much yesterday, every time we saw her, she was asleep. After her 7:30 feeding, we were helping the nurse weigh her and changing her clothes and she finally woke up (she looked pretty cute in her clothes, some that actually fit; wish we'd had the camera) . This was at about 8:45 or so. We were getting ready to head for home.

But dammit, I'm not going to leave my girl while her little eyes are open. So we burrito'd her back up and sat and held her for another 45 minutes. Kid smiles all the time. I know she doesn't know how to smile yet, but she's still smiling. And it is awesome. Steph finally got her to go to sleep.

Today she gets to do the "Carseat Challenge," where basically they make sure that the baby can endure the ride home. I'm hoping that means the actual trip home is in sight. I've been toting the car seat around in the trunk since Thursday night(?), so its exciting to actually get to use it.

Gratitude
Let me get this out all at once. I'm not used to people doing things for me. I'm used to being the forgotten one when it comes time for needing help. Possibly because I don't like to ask for help. Maybe I expect too much from people. Maybe I set them up to disappoint me. Maybe I'm still buying into the shit that my dad pumped me full of when I was a kid. That I was dumb and unworthy of these things for other people. I'm used to feeling like I'm the guy who listens but has no one to listen to him.

You guys are pretty much giving me group therapy right now. The support and love we've gotten from you guys... The Profanity crew cobbled together enough money for a whole ton of stuff we needed for the nursery. Kevin gave us an extra night at the hotel. Boone, Jerm & Andia (your gift right now considering what's going on with you two is awesome) and Adam helped out with the gas money. Jones gave us a gift card (and the monkey rules, dude; I'll get you called when I can). Mark and Candice, you guys rule, too. Thanks Shyla for the Sonic card. Thanks everyone for the flowers. Thanks to anyone

I just have no words. I've always considered my friends extended family. I hope that's how I treat you (even if we're having disagreements about something or another). But I've never felt more than now like we all are extended family, and you guys are taking care of us. Brings a mantear to my eye.

We love you guys. Thanks for everything.

4 comments:

Okjerm said...

You and Pryor are my brothers. Family takes care of on another.

The mantear I helped produce is reward enough.

cyclefreaks said...

Dude, not only a mantear... when I have a minute, I've got to post something related to this on my blog! It has to do with sunny days and nice views.

Love you guys! Kaia says hi!

Anonymous said...

We love you guys too. All three of you. Hope she gets to go home soon.

Candice said...

You have a talent of attracting good people to you. And with a baby like Kaia how can people resist showering her with gifts and goodness? Love at first sight.