Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 3 Will Have to Wait Until Tomorrow

Maybe I should call them sessions instead of days.

Tonight has been a total charlie foxtrot.

Had some dinner at Jerm and Andia's (thanks, guys), and then Kaia and I rushed home so we could be there when Steph made it back from the airport. We managed to get Kaia into her pajamas, teeth brushed and everything. When Steph came in, Kaia was sitting on the couch, wrapped in a pink blanket and watching the Tinkerbell movie. (*See Steph's facebook post for the outcome of that.)

Steph probably walked in the door at 9. Kaia finally went to sleep at 11:15. There was no joy in Mudville.

So far, with this new writing thing, I've been trying to write at night in lieu of reading or gaming. I plan to switch my "writing block" to some time during the 9-to-5, but it's been a busy crazy at work. ...

This sounds like excuses. It was more meant as a response to Bloyd's comment. No, I don't think there'll be a new post every day. I think if I set it up with that expectation, I'm going to expect to fail and fall back into that cycle. To easy to duck out with the same old shit.

Instead, I'm just going to try to write more. Write the ideas when they hit. Just get something down. Anything. Like yesterday's, for instance. That scene has been kicking around in my head for a decade, and I didn't do it justice. Rushed it. The language is a bit clunky, and some of the beats are off. I'll have to re-write it when the time comes (it's part of a larger fantasy story; the one with the silver thing that killed all the pirates, for those of you who've been in for the long haul).

And let me tell ya, last night was hard. The words did not come as easily as they used to. I could tell I wasn't writing well, but I had to try to get through it. It was akin to trying to draw something from your head and having that thing look absolutely nothing like the real thing, then sitting back and going, "I suck."

I think that had I tried to get back into the fiction writing July of 2010, I might've had a slightly better time of it. Consider that at least the movie column was writing, which is a lot more than what I'm doing now. I had a tough time getting through the last round of magazine stories.

Pain. In. My. Ass.

Basically, after a long lay off, I lifted hard two days in a row, and now everything is sore and I just want to sit on the couch doped up on darvocet or something.

It's midnight now. I should go to bed. I might try to get something written anyway. But not on this goddamn nettop. 'S making my wrists tired.

No comments: