Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Phantom Limb

Sunday night at about 9, I kept feeling like there was something I was supposed to be doing. It was like some sort of compulsion. Really weird. lol.

At one point on Friday, Steph sent me this text:
"I want to see Funny People."
I wrote back:
"You're not seriously asking me to go to the movies are you?"
I mean, I know Funny People is Apatow's latest, but I really could give a shit about it. I'm not really a huge Adam Sandler fan. Hell, for that matter, I just don't give a shit about most comedies. I don't generally think they're worth paying movie theatre prices for. Rent? Absolutely. Comedies are perfect renters. But at the theatre? Wholly unnecessary.

Think about it for a minute. What attributes do comedies have that are better served on a big screen? You go see them for the scenery? The special effects? I rest my case.

Anyway, it was a good weekend off. And I have another weekend off before I actually go back to the theatres (District 9 is a must-see for me). So that'll be awesome.

The downer to all this is that however meager the checks were, they were still extra income. The last one is coming in like two weeks, and then that'll be that.

The Lan
This weekend is the annual 2o2p lan in Chicago. We're leaving thursday morning at the crack of ass.

My biggest concern at this point is... what in the hell am I going to drink? My drink of choice, prior to now, was Crown n Coke. But I'm off caffiene, off soda, so that's out. So what's the drink then? I've been thinking probably vodka collins with good vodka, but that's probably a limited run kind of thing.

Anyone got any favorites that don't involve soda? And yes, we spend the better part of three days silly drunk.

I'm super excited for the trip, but I'm going to miss my girls. : (

Stumbled across this on Lifehacker today:

Cool Yourself Down for Better Sleep

Scientists say there's an optimal temperature range for inducing your brain to get sleepy. If your own body is the temperature problem, a hot water bottle might help fix it.

Photo by Alyssa L. Miller.

A National Institutes of Health study suggests that the optimal temperature range for good sleep is between 60 and 68 degree Fahrenheit. In those temperatures, the core body temperature lowers, and one's body usually begins to fall into a sleepy state. If you've just eaten a big meal, though, or have regular problems with insomnia or feeling generally restless, it may be that your own core temperature hasn't gotten there.

In that case, the Times and a study by the journal Nature (direct PDF link) suggest putting a bottle of hot water near one's feet. Sounds strange, indeed, but as blood vessels dilate in the feet, it can help lower one's internal temperature to a more sleep-ready state. For other tips on staying cool at night, try the previously mentioned "Egyptian Method".

7 comments:

BELDAR said...

Where you go wrong is the mix. Go for Crown on the rocks, or Jameson, that's my preference. Also been into martinis lately - basically vodka with a couple of olives.

Unknown said...

Vodka Collins are very good, or you could just go the Vodka and Cranberry..No, not the god damn cosmo, but just Vodka and Cranberry.

Okjerm said...

I go see comedies in the theaters so I don't get all the jokes second hand.

Screwdrivers. As a bonus you get vitamin C.

cyclefreaks said...

Anything with juice is good, but I'm with Beldar on this. You're gonna get silly drink, why not just stick with the liquor? Tequila shots, margaritas, crown on the rocks, wine, beer...nothing like beer with a chaser of your favorite shot.

My history with vodka and cranberry is not so good, ala your parents front yard and Mark Bloyd's birthday. So I can't recommend that without gagging.

Candice said...

I still like to drink white russians. And Jerm's got a good suggestion. Hell, I have even had a few dirty martinis that were pretty good. I love pomegranate margaritas.

Sanchez said...

FYI...I'd say any drink with OJ as the mix for cory would be out:-)

Skept said...

man's got a point.