Monday, July 27, 2009

It Is Done

Two things happened yesterday.

First, I bought a 16gb iPhone from a nerd in the Apple store at Woodland Hills Mall. Said nerd had the apple logo tattooed on the inside of his right forearm. Filled in, too; none of that nancy outline stuff. I wanted to say, "Brother, working in the Apple store is a job, not a career."

But wtf do I know. Dream big, Apple nerd. Dream big.

The phone itself is awesome. I still need to put some music on it. But I'll get to that. Intermittently for the last 12 hours, I've been cruising the App Store and loading my silly phone with all the free apps it can handle. I'm sure most of it is Bloatware and I'll hardly ever use it, but still. New toy and all.

Don't get me wrong. I still disagree with Apple's business practices, but a good product's a good product.

The Other Thing... that happened yesterday -> I wrote the last column. Keith told me I could come back whenever I wanted, so that was pretty cool. Always good not to burn the bridge, right? I still don't think I've realized I don't have to go to the movies this weekend.

No, I won't be going to see Funny People.

Here's the other thing, though. I'm being realistic about actually stopping going to the movies. I have no intentions of quitting. And if I'm going to go, I might as well write a review.

I've got a blog site almost ready to go. It's called "The Retired Critic." I'm planning on making it public, which is something I've never done before. I also only plan on putting up reviews when I feel like it. Mostly, I figure only my friends will read it. If that. I've never really been sure how many of you guys kept up with the column. Anyway, I've got to make a graphic for the top so it's not so damn plain looking, but bookmark it. That'll be the place in the future. I thought about calling it Sturgeon's Law, but I didn't figure people would like having to wiki what it meant.

It'll be intermittent, uncensored and likely angrier. Don't know if you guys know this or not, but I always used to sorta pull my punches. Something Dennis King once told me. he always gave a movie half a star more than he thought it deserved because somewhere out there, someone busted their ass to make a good movie.

No more.

But hell, it'll be just for fun, and... the comments section will be wide open, so I fully anticipate the hate mail getting worse. Nothing I'm not used to, really, I'm just going to have to monitor my comment reading.

I'm tired. I was up until 4am finishing the "final column."

out.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Can't wait to read it!

buddhaspi said...

Already a 'member' for the new site. Looking forward to it. Gimme a shout this weekend. I got one of the new iPhones too. I'm pleased with it. It is pretty damn cool. But I still have the same feelings about Apple as you do.

Have a great one.

And btw, I'm going by Buddha Khan these days. ;D

cyclefreaks said...

I'm lovin mine. As well as my other apple products. :D

Okjerm said...

"And btw, I'm going by Buddha Khan these days. ;D"

That's so he doesn't get confused with the Buddha that keeps shitting in my living room.

Buddha Khan said...

lol.

BC said...

I'll be sure NOT to show you the Apple tattoo I have on my left ass cheek, dream crusher.

Skept said...

frickin posh hippie.

James Goodman said...

That's cool. I can't wait to read it. I read your UT column frequently, looking forward to seeing some no punches pulled reviews.