Baaaa, Baaaa
So... I'm getting an iPhone. The gadget siren call has finally gotten to me.
Yesterday, I actually went to the AT&T store, cash in hand, to get one, only to be told they don't have any and that I'd have to Tulsa or OKC to get one.
...
I have to go get some keys from my mom this weekend anyway, and possibly to see Tanner and Katie, so... I can wait two more days, I suppose. I'm just one of those people who, when I've made up my mind, I tend to want to get it done asap. It's not unlike having a splinter.
I know you're riveted, so I'll keep you up to date.
I'm not entirely happy about this proposition, btw. The iPhone is cool as hell. I just wish it wasn't made by Apple.
I loaded up iTunes last night to see what state my library was in after two, almost three years of disuse. I quickly discovered that it's in disarray, and not only that, but that any part of it I bought from the iTunes store is no longer playable in goddamn iTunes.
See, when Cox sold Stillwater to Suddenlink (you're neglected!), we had to change all our email addresses, and in many cases, login IDs to various sites we use. One of those was our iTunes login. You can perhaps see where I'm going with this.
When I tired to listen to some of the old songs I'd bought from the iTunes store, it asked me to authorize my computer to play those songs. The ID it asked me for was the one with cox.net at the end. Well, technically, that ID does not exist, so even if I filled in the proper password, which I did, it would not authorize the computer for that song.
Better still, I went to my account on the apple site, logged in with my current login, and browsed my purchase history, just to see. Every song I have ever bought from iTunes is on there, no matter the account ID. So technically, they know that the login has changed, that it should be associated with the songs, but... too fucking bad.
How fucking retarded is that? DRM is dead and yet I'm still fucked out of all my old music. Worse still, now, not only can I not play my DRM'd music on anything but iTunes, I can't even play it on iTunes.
It's maddening.
This is the case for stealing music or at the very least buying it from someone else. I understand that songs purchased from Apple are no longer DRMed. Are they still AAC? Can you purchase songs from the iTunes store as mp3s? I don't think you can, in which case you're still buying music that has a limited range of usability.
And then there's this... you can only make ringtones for your iPhone out of songs purchased from the iTunes store.
Tell me again why everyone blows Apple and pays extra for the privilege?
The phone is damn cool, and I can end around most the deficiencies of being an Apple product, so I'm going ahead with the plan, but this kind of thing is preposterous.
11 comments:
Damn, you're bitchy. You don't open iTunes for 2 years, change email addresses and it's Apple's fault you can't authorize your DRM'd music? Really? You think that would have gone down any differently if you bought music from any other place 2 years ago? (they were all DRM'd back then)
Anyway, the reason I buy Apple shit is because it works. It just works a ton better than everything else out there.
Call Apple Support and explain the email thing. They'll get you fixed up. Then buy your iPhone and join the legions of us that enjoy using a smartphone that actually does what we want it to.
I switched the email address two years ago, thank you very much. The transition went smoothly on the old computer.
and this is where I obligatorily call you a tool.
There is a work-around for the ringtone thing. I made a non-itunes MP3 into a ringtone just fine.
Fuck Apple.
I don't think that's right, I'm sure there's a fix. I've been able to access all of my old stuff, what got backed up anyway.
I need to work on getting some cool ringtones...
Fuck Apple in the mouth, Dirty Sanchez style..
Now head over to your flock, you are being herded now...
iphone is the hawtness. i love it.
LB, stfu
Fuck Apple Angry Pirate-style
What is all this retarded apple hate? They built a kick-ass phone. What, is holding up a Zune somehow like sticking your neck out for the little guy?
My Apple hate comes from previous years of having to process returns for their crappy product, their head up their ass smug attitude, their pricing practice of pricing so high you THINK you are getting a better product (Monster cable anyone?)and the tyrannical practices of Steve Jobs.
I am not an MS fanboy, but rather an Apple hater..
Post a Comment