First, the Kaia Stuff
I actually started this blog yesterday, but things got in the way of my finishing it, so I'm working on it this morning. I'm actually at home with Kaia today. She's running a low-grade fever, probably because she has two more teeth coming in (the two in the bottom front).
In less than a month, she'll have four teeth. Seems like we waited for them forever and now they're just shooting out. I suspect that's how most things are going to go with her for awhile. We'll wait and wait and wait, then it'll happen all at once.
Like the walking thing. She navigates around rooms standing up and walking along the furniture. She clearly prefers being on her feet to crawling, but she's yet to solo much. So far the record for walking alone is five steps. I think it's five, anyway. Might be four. She's getting braver, so I expect the full-on walking at any point now.
So last week on Steph's first day of work, I had to get Kaia up, feed her, dress her and take her to school. It was actually some really good father/daughter time. I enjoyed it.
Until I had to actually leave her at daycare. I sat her down near some toys and then started to walk off. She started crying immediately, and then when I walked off, she crawled after me as fast as she could.
Horrible. Yesterday was probably worse. I handed her to her "teacher," and she started crying immediately while at the same time reaching for me. Again, I had to leave her while she basically called after me, crying.
Dude, I'm not that tough. Things like that make me want to cry, too.
The Prestige
For whatever reason, I've always been drawn to "gaslight" stories; stuff like Sherlock Holmes, The Alienist, Jack the Ripper (went on a Jack the Ripper tour of London when I was in England). I love that stuff, especially when there's a fantastical element thrown in.
So it's not any surprise that I loved The Prestige. Just watched it again yesterday (with no one home at lunch, I find myself either gaming, working out, reading or watching movies). The main storyline itself is pretty good; two extraordinarily flawed characters going at each other over the course of an entire career.
The supernatural twist is also good, though technically, it isn't supernatural. It's the same kind of science you'd get from Jules Verne or any of the early sci-fi writers. The film makes a wizard out of Nikola Tesla, and he creates Tangier's machine (if you haven't seen the film, I won't ruin it for you).
Better still, there's some kind of rivalry between Tesla and Edison, and Edison apparently has a legion of goons working for him. The thought of two rival men of science creating what amounts to steampunk wizardry and battling each other, to me, is fascinating. I'm sure most people didn't get this out of the film, but I did. It made me want to see a flick about Edison vs. Tesla.
In any case, I'm going to have to buy the novel.
Other Miscellany
I had a whole bunch of crap to write about when i started this yesterday, and now I can't remember the half of it. Even today, i started work on this about an hour and a half ago, at which point Kaia decided to "help." her assistance consists of banging on the keyboard with whatever she has in her hands, and most often results in her hitting the escape key, the shift key or otherwise turning on some esoteric windows function for which we have no idea how to shut off.
She's napping right this moment, though i have no idea how long she'll stay that way. Must. type. faster.
Been having a lot of anxiety about the upcoming move. I'm worried we won't be able to get financing, that we won't find something we can afford, that i won't be able to find a job in OKC.
the job thing worries me in a lot of ways. I wonder sometimes if I'm broken, unable to work in the manner other people expect. Pretty much these days I keep the schedule I want to keep and work at the pace I choose (wait, wait, wait, wait, rush like hell to the finish). I'm also really going to miss the vacation time (I'm up about four weeks and change, not counting holidays.
Part of the reason I hate looking for jobs is that, historically, it's always been an exercise in failure. I send our resume after resume and don't even get rejection letters. It's made me not want to bother. Yeah, I know, you have to keep trying. I'm just explaining my reticence. Doesn't matter in any case. The resumes are about to start going out. I've already sent a couple (again, to no avail).
I expect I'll be commuting for awhile.
Facebook
Seems like every person from my goddamn high school class wants to be my friend. I'm mostly inclined to not add them. Guys, being friends on facebook isn't going to make us friends in real life, or any more of friends than we were in high school to begin with.
It's not that I think they're the same people they were in high school, it's just that I don't much care. I've kept up with the people I wanted to keep up with. The rest don't really matter to me. is that cold?
Oh, Lost
I sure as hell hope you're caught up and watching. It's some badass television.
Everything else we watch we're behind on -- Battlestar, Sarah Conner, Trust Me ... okay, that's about it. We don't watch a lot of television and even what we do watch comes off the DVR more often than not. Thank the creators of the DVR. It's revolutionized television for me.
that's all for now.
12 comments:
question...
Do you need to find a new job or is the commute too crazy to stay at your current job?
it's 25,000 a year on the car all on its own.
I agree about Facebook. Hey you didn't talk to me in high school why the hell do you want to be my friend?
true..but compared to selling a house and moving...
not hating on it, just throwing out the alternative.
mikey, you act like we want to live an hour from civilization. we've been trying to get out of here for eight seven years.
I was telling Adam of your thoughts on leaving Kaia. He told me that I would have to do it. I told him that I wouldn't do everything. He said, "then I would just have to punch the "teacher" in the face, just because". Men, so tough. LOL
Facebook is just like myspace, wait til your family asks to be your friend and you deny them. Then you have your mom calling and fussing at you about how you hurt your cousin's feelings.
Any chance of getting video of Kaia walking? All I've ever seen is her pulling herself up and edging along a couple of steps.
And just keep sending out the resumes. And don't worry about not getting rejection letters. If they aren't going to hire you, they aren't going to hire you. Do you really need a letter to confirm that? Just keep sending them out and you'll start getting bites.
My rule on Facebook is simple--if I wouldn't refer to you as a "friend" in a conversation, you aren't my friend on Facebook. That simple.
Finally, I agree--Lost is friggin' sweet this season. I'm glad to see the Bloyd's catching up.
Cory...I hate to break it to you brotha...but you can move a hour in any direction in OK and you still won't be any closer to civilization...
LOL...nothing but love for you man...
Does civilization equal a state that is broke, constantly on fire and suffering from a drought? 'cause I'm cool living in Oklahoma if it does.
Does the college really need you to be on campus to run the magazine? Couldn't you commute into Stillwater maybe twice a week and spend three days elsewhere?
I think Cory could totally do this job off-site. I bet he could commute MTW and be home Th and F.
Damn, now that would be a sweeeeet gig.
You will find a job you like. I believe in you.
Maybe they have fond memories of you and just want to say hi. I do that.
I can't imagine walking away from her while she's crying, I wish it were different.
We started season two this week.
Post a Comment