[12:20] mbloyd27: people talking about Lost in the next cubeI never have that problem. You know why? I don't work with anyone who's into anything I am. I have some friends at work, sure. That's not what I'm saying. And in some cases, our interests overlap slightly. Phil (the super photographer) and I both have a tech addiction. We talk a lot and are probably better friends than I give us credit for (code for I probably take Phil for granted). We don't hang out though, outside of work. Probably ought to work on that. Matt (my one reliable writer) and I are both into Teh Metal.
[12:20] mbloyd27: must put headphones in
Past that... nada. There are never any watercooler discussions about what was on television last night. Never any conversations about the movies of the previous weekend, other than sometimes someone politely asks me what I watched the weekend before.
This strikes me as odd.
Part of it is probably that our office culture is fucked. Everyone sits in their offices and only rarely ventures out to commune with others. I'm terrible at this, personally. But even still...
I haven't worked with people around my age since Urban Tulsa. I've worked with mostly older people, and I think it's one of the reasons, however below the surface, I've been constantly dissatisfied with my jobs.
That feeling of isolation I mentioned in the 25 list? I'm sure a lot of that, or part of that, can be attributed to work. I have what I'd consider my normal "co-worker" conversations with my friends on IM every morning.
Granted, that doesn't inspire me to then have those conversations again with my coworkers, but you know, if I was going to have those with the co's, I'd probably have started by now. I've worked here for like four years now.
I think I'd like a job where I worked with my peer group for once. Just sayin. And yes, I'm looking. Suck it.
Edit: Upon further review. yeah, there was Dave. He stuck around for about a year, then moved away like a big jerk. Also, I added more to the Phil part. I probably talk to Phil more than I talk to anyone at work.
10 comments:
I hear ya man. As a very unsociable type of person, I don't have a lot of regular interactions with people I'm comfortable talking about stuff like that with.
That being said, I'm lucky that there are a couple of good people in my department that I talk to about some of that stuff.
We talk about Lost and such, but the conversation does have its limits since some of these folks thinks movies like 'Transfomers' represents the highest of art forms.
I have the opposite problem. We are all thrown together and if someone is being a drama queen it messes up your whole day. I don't have a desk, a cube, or even a place to keep my purse where other people can't get to it.
I miss the middle ground. Having the cube and IM but still having Joe to go to lunch with everyday. Smoking also makes you more social. When you end up standing outside with the same people everyday you start to talk to each other. I'm not saying you should smoke, I'm just saying it forced more social interaction.
Just for the record, I went over to those guys and punched them all in the face.
Scratch a few friends off my list...
Yeah, I don't know how you managed to fake all that social interaction with your co-workers at OSU.
How long have you been gone, you douche? You were here, what, a year?
And I'm not saying there's none, mind you, just precious little.
Been gone 7.5 years. (And I was there for 18 months, thank you very much.)
But it's not like I could talk video games. Or current cinema. Or metal. Or ...
Yet somehow we made it through.
you're makin' me weepy.
I have some people at work I consider friends but as you said they are all older or just not into the same stuff. We mostly talk about our husbands, good receipes and what shower cleaner is the best.
But no one watches the same TV or movies I do.
I am so thankful I can surf, read mags and check my email-- that's the interaction that I have.
I am a very social person -I guess as you get older and work in more professional enviroment small talk kind of falls by the waistside as can friendships.
I'm the opposite of everyone so far. I work with a tight knit group. We've actually introduced one another to new media and recipes.
One of the techs was thinking of leaving the office for another job and it felt like a family member was leaving. Luckily we talked her out of it.
I've had jobs both ways and I tell you, the close-knit family atmosphere is much better. Sure, the drama can get annoying, but I was much more social when I was at TH than the past three years in the office with people unrelated to my job.
And just for the record, you are surrounded by creative types just like you so I think they are all just a little bit anti-social. When I was at TVG, we all would work in our cubicles with the headphones on and email each other if we wanted to "chat." :) Sad but true.
Post a Comment