For a writer, I sure don't like to write these days. It feels ... difficult and like I have nothing to say. No stories. Hell, mostly I don't blog because I don't think that I have anything you guys want to read about.
You don't want to hear about the job. You don't care about video games, and almost none of you read the same books I do. Hell, most of you don't even watch the same movies I do.
Does that mean we have nothing in common?
I don't update you on the girl because Steph does such a fine job of it over on Riding for 2. What could I add to that? Don't think I love Kaia any less than Steph. Kaia and Steph are my whole world these days. I just don't know what to say about it.
Do I constantly express both my joy and exhaustion? Oddly, there's no frustration in taking care of the baby. It's very hard, physically and at times emotionally, but there's no frustration. It's not even a duty or a job. Taking care of the baby, from a commitment standpoint, is easy. Easiest hard work I've ever done, really.
And there's nothing cooler than seeing her get smarter every day. We have what amounts to a giant gray fence that runs across the living room, propped on one side between the couch and end table. The other side just sort of runs into either the wall or entertainment center.
When it's up against the entertainment center, Grandma Jane uses it like a gate. Pull it open, pass through, push it back against the shelves. Apparently, Kaia's been paying attention, because the other night, she crawled over to the edge of the fence, pulled it away from the entertainment shelves, and let herself out of her confined area, pausing briefly on the other side to flap her arms and squeal.
I just wish she'd sleep the night (no, don't lecture me about letting her cry it out; I'm not convinced that's good for her).
Right.
Anyway, baby stuff. There you go. The only other things on my dancecard are gaming, reading and the occasional movie or tv show.
Books
Been rereading the Dresden Files. Good books. They're exactly the place I want to hang out when I'm not busy hanging with the family. I almost hate Jim Butcher for writing them because they are almost exactly what I'd like to write myself.
There's this thing, when I'm ideating, I have trouble coming up with something original because the stuff that I read always climbs in there. I can't have an idea without comparing it to something I'm already reading. Is the idea too close to Dresden? Dammit.
Anyway, they're damn good books. I've recommended them before, but I don't think enough of you have taken me up on it.
And speaking of books, I'm seriously thinking about tracking down all the stuff I read in 2008 and making a list, just to see how many I really plowed through. Just for curiosity's sake. I think it was a record year. I'm going to guess 40 something.
Good books, but probably none of them good for me.
And Speaking of Not Good For Me
Digging Lost already. Best season so far.
2old2play
About a month ago, I volunteered to be Site Content Manager for 2old2play.com. In case you're new around here, or don't quite realize the extent of my video game nerddom, it's a website for video game enthusiasts older than 25 (so as to not have to hang out with the whiny goddamn kids of the world; we prefer the whiny goddamn older gamer, thank you very much).
In some ways, it's much like my real job. I'm in charge of a publication and have no official staff, and I'm forced to rely on volunteers. The website is better, however, because the volunteers are people writing about their hobby, which typically means they want to be doing it.
So sure, they may not be writers of the best caliber, but that's what a good editor is for, right? Silk purses and sows ears, or some shit.
I had two reasons for volunteering for the gig. First, I want the resume fodder. It's a job, after all. Second, I care about the website, and I want to make it better. Think about the places you read on a daily basis. They all have regular content pertinent to your interests, and it's done well enough to keep you coming back.
All those links on the right side of my blog? I read them every day. That's what I want 2o2p to become. I've made my "job" publication arguably the best of its kind in the country. I think I can do it with the website, too, though it's a much tougher gig.
Sure do wish it paid better, though.
That's all I got for now. Sure hope Steph gets the Dept. of Health job. Keep your fingers crossed.
7 comments:
That's funny because last time I checked you and I read some of the same books and listen to alot of the same music. You are the one that introduced me to Metallica.
That's my girl! I love that she stopped to squeal after busting out. She is my favorite person in the whole world.
"Think about the places you read on a daily basis. They all have regular content pertinent to your interests, and it's done well enough to keep you coming back."
I used to be able to say that about your blog.
Just write whatever the hell you feel like writing and worry not if we care about the topic. We just want to read words thought up by you. If you're not going to deliver a novel at least hit us with some regular blog posts.
Quit telling people what they do and do not want to read. If you post something we don't want to read, we won't read it. Sort of like how I do with links. :) I still come here every day hoping for a post.
i like movies.
i like video games.
i like to read.
...came here to say what Jerm and Steph said.
And I'd like to see that list of books and what you thought of them. I'm always in the search for more reading material. (currently reading Seneca's "Letters From A Stoic")
I would like to hear more about having a baby, what the experience has been like so far, etc.?
BTW, I'm having a rough day, I miss her really really bad.
I would like you see you stop bleeding out of your mangina...
Post a Comment