Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tea'd Off

So.... still haven't had a soda. I've had swigs of sodas here and there. Let's say five, six swigs total. Stuff just doesn't taste right anymore. Kind of makes my jaws clench. But then I haven't had a swig of Vanilla Dr. Pepper, so maybe that'd taste different.

Honestly, though, I don't really miss it. And I've lost two pounds (without really exercising cause I've been slacking ass in that department; two workouts a week does not constitute "working out.")

This isn't to say I've kicked sugar. The odd candy bar now and again isn't going to trip me back into drinking soda. But the sodas are gone. Maybe for good. Which would be awesome.

Think of the calories I'm missing out on. Usually, my daily routine, I'd have probably a 32oz soda with lunch and then a 12oz can at 3ish when the afternoon crash hit. That's approximately 586.6 empty calories per day (12oz of Dr. Pepper = 160 calories = 13.3 calories per oz). That's 146 grams of sugar.

Steph told me not too long ago that if you drink just one can of soda a day at the end of the year, you will have consumed 30 pounds of sugar. That's just the sugar from the sodas, not from everything else.

I'm not obsessed with this, mind you. It's just interesting to me that I'm seeing weight loss without increased activity. Also, I think I'm sleeping better.

I haven't, however, given up caffeine. In the mornings, I'll still have a cup of Joe and for lunch, I like to have some iced tea. I'd forgotten I actually like tea without sugar in it. And good tea is soooo good, but bad tea is awful.

For lunch today, I went to Quizno's (Queeznoz) with Barry. OSU QB Zac Robinson was there with his girlfriend (not as hot as I'd imagine a college QB should have). Anyway, I ordered the usual (regular mesquite chicken on wheat) from some dude with a chrome stud sticking out of his chin, grabbed my bbq kettle chips and waited for Barry to pay and the cashregister chick to give us our drink cups.

After she finally did, I made my way to the giant tea dispenser so as to fill my cup with tasty herbal caffeination. And you know what came from the spout? That's right, not a goddamn thing.

I walked back over to Cash Register Chick and said, "you guys are out of tea." Being a helpful sort of guy, I showed her my empty cup for a visual aid.

She said, "I can make some more, but it'll take about 10 minutes," obviously hoping I'd say, "Never mind then." But you guys know me. I never say never fucking mind. Instead, I said, "Ok," which is code for well, guess you'd better get after it then.

I took my cup of ice back to the table and ate my sandwich, which was half cold because they had to bring out a bag of fucking chicken from the fridge (and as such hadn't been warmed up yet), and my chips. I waited the 10 minutes. I waited 15. I waited for the lunch rush to stop and then approached Cash Register Chick again.

"Did you guys make any tea?"

"Oh, no, sorry."

"Yeah, just give me my money back on this then."

To her credit, she said "okay," then dug out $1.51. I gave the money to Barry, cause he'd bought lunch, then when we left, I left my cup of ice on the table though I threw the rest of my debris away. The Cup wasn't mine. I hadn't paid for it.

From there, I drove to a convenience store and bought a tea. It sucked ass, though I didn't realize that until I'd already sat down in the car. Ended up going to another store to try their tea. Fortunately that didn't suck.

And the short version of this story is if you don't want water and aren't drinking soda (leaded or unleaded), your drinking options are extraordinarily limited. It's pretty much tea, tea or, oh yeah, tea.

12 comments:

Okjerm said...

Wow, an O.U. grad can make proper change when asked? (drum fill)

Arby's has the best iced tea. It's awesome in it's goodness.

Oh, btw, Tony Romo is a professional QB in Dallas and he's only pulling Jessica Simpson. Dude should be using the Sports Illustrated swim suit ish as a menu, not dating Proactiv zit girl.

Mark said...

Ice tea is a suitable substitute when I get tired of soda. The wife and I are fans of Chic-fil-a for tea or McAlister's. Both are fucking good dirty water (tea).

Candice said...

I have learned the hard way to taste all tea before going to the trouble of adding ice to the cup. Then I know if its good or sucks ass. I hate fountain or bottled tea. I need the fresh brewed stuff. Panera has good tea also. I only drink sugar in my tea if its hot. I'm weird like that. Invest in an ice tea maker. We love ours.

Okjerm said...

C is right. We got a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker as a gift. It rules.

cyclefreaks said...

I used to like the stuff but I've always been a sweet tea kind of girl. McAlisters gets my vote, though I've never had it at Arbys.

Carrie said...

You see that is fucked up because I went last month to quiznos and same thing happened! I only drink water, tea or booze. I had no choice but take a bottle of water. Assholes. Nothing else. Period. And yes Jerm, Arby's is the best but I can't tell you how many fucking times I bought a half gallon and it be sweet. It even says "unsweet" on the label.

You'll get used to it skept.

greenGuru said...

I'm adding my vote for McAlister's. That's the best ice tea I've found practically anywhere. And unsweetened is definately the way for me.

For about 6 months at the office, we kept a pitcher around and would make tea every afternoon. (that quick "cold brew" stuff--acceptable) We went through that like made. At least 3 gallons a day. That was awesome.

Andia said...

I have to vote for Chick-fil-A. Their tea is the best.

Candice said...

I hope your Arby's tea is different then our's because the stuff here tastes like ass. It comes from a fountain.

James Goodman said...

I like the Arby's tea around here, last time I checked it didn't have an ass aftertaste, lol.

Okjerm said...

It's also not from a fountain. Screwy Texans.

Angie said...

I have NEVER drank sweetened tea or soda (one of those quirks I listed). Always water or unsweet tea. And usually, as Candice mentioned, the tea tastes like ass. Never, and I repeat NEVER on your thirstiest day, think "oh, there's a McD's, lemme grab a tea." Ass would taste like heaven next to THEIR tea.

I always liked Sonic's unsweet tea best. If you can get them to actually give you the UNsweet variety with enough ice to keep it cold. When they get it right, it rawks.