Thursday, January 03, 2008

Better with Beer

Used to be when we'd have Christmas Eve with my dad's side of the family, we'd always do different kinds of chili and/or mexican food for dinner. Guess everyone knew they'd be getting turkey/ham/roast the following day.

Anyway, after I got out of college, I decided it was time to grow up and actually, you know, bring some food. I volunteered to bring "white" chili. I'd had it somewhere before, I think at an ex-girlfriend's mom's, and it was awesome. So I looked up a bunch of recipes, took things I liked from each of them and made my own. I've never managed to make it the same way twice because I always forget to write down any of the recipes I borrow from and never take notes on what I actually do.

Yesterday, Steph said she wanted some chicken chili this week, so today after our doctor's appt, we went to the store and got the ingredients (which, mind you, I wasn't sure I needed as I don't actually have a recipe). As it turned out, this was the best batch I've ever made, and as such, I wrote down exactly what I put in it.

So... here it is.

Skeptichili

2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
1 can Delmonte Chili Style Diced tomatoes
1 can Delmonte Jalapeno Diced Tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
2 cans of navy beans (drained)
1 large onion
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp seasoning salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne (optional)

Boil chicken.

You're going to want a fairly deep pan. Chop onion and sauté with garlic in olive oil. Once the onions turn white, add the tomatoes, beans and chicken broth.

Shred chicken and add to chili. Simmer for 20 mins., covered, stirring occasionally. Serve with sour cream and/or cheese and tortilla chips. And good beer.

14 comments:

cyclefreaks said...

It was delicious. And don't worry Candice, it's not the burn-your-tonsils variety that he took that one NYE. This one was just perfect...

I can't wait to have leftovers for lunch... :)

Candice said...

HOLY SHIT! I have been waiting for this recipe for years. I am making this TOMORROW!

Thanks Steph, that's exactly what I was wondering. You read my mind.

Candice said...

Ingredients bought, making it tomorrow!

Skept said...

Tomorrow, tomorrow...

Candice said...

Some of us work on Saturday's so our week is a little different then your's. Top that off with a husband that HATES going to the grocery store .

Skept said...

we all hate going to the grocery store. we're UNITED in our hate of groceries.

Okjerm said...

Other things I hear Mark hates are car trouble in bad weather, underwear that chafes and rinsing his mouth with orange juice after brushing.

Candice said...

Uh, WTF?

The Chicken chili is the best ever!

My taste buds cried tears of joy!

Angie said...

Oh yeah, have to try this. So yummy-lookin'.

Carrie said...

This sounds totally up our alley. I will email it to the chef. And guys...he likes doing the shopping. He would go by himself if I was so controlling.

Anonymous said...

wow, you've actually been blogging.

Angie said...

Blog some more. Tag...

C said...

Whew, I am SOOO glad this is still here! We lost our copy and I couldn't find it on my computer so I searched your blog and boom, it's still here!

Skept said...

Holy crap. lol. yeah, i never took it down. it is the official archive.