Sunday, December 30, 2007

Not a New Year's Resolution

I didn't plan this out or anything. Didn't think about it or mark a day on the calendar, but seven days ago, I stopped drinking soda.

Steph and I had developed a pretty nasty soda habit. Pretty much every day we'd hit Sonic or OnCue at the corner for sodas. I'd always have a 32 oz. Vanilla Dr. Pepper. Love the stuff. And then at work, I'd have a 12 oz can of Dr. Pepper sometime in the afternoon. And then probably one with lunch if we went out. Too many unnecessary calories, too many unhealthy chemicals.

Here's the kicker. As much soda as I was drinking -- and I know, it really doesn't sound like a lot -- but I really wasn't enjoying it. It was just satisfying this need for some sort of sweet drink. I was drinking them out of habit and not desire. So what's the point of having them at all?

I'm not giving up caffeine, mind you. Just soda. I gave up caffeine once and that lasted for about three years, and I pretty much did that the same way I did this. Just gave it up one day. I'm not giving up coffee or tea this time. Screw that. I'm too old to not need a pick-me-up in the morning.

This is also an exercise in self-discipline. If I can get myself to give up soda, I can get myself to do a great many other things. Hardening of the will, as it were. Also, I know I don't want to keep soda in the house when the Chosen One is young. Don't want to start her down that path early. Plus, hell, we never really had soda in the house when I was young. It was a special treat

Anyway, there it is. Seven days, no soda.

3 comments:

cyclefreaks said...

I swear we never had soda either but my sister says we did. Who knows, whatever the reason, I'm an addict and always have been. But then, it's a sugar addiction and soda is just one more way to get my fix. I used to eat butter and sugar sandwiches, for cryin out loud.

I'm all for not keeping it in the house. It's like chips. If it's there, I can't have just one...

Candice said...

We never had pop in the house because dad only drank beer and coffee. Lol.

Seven days.

Angie said...

Very cool. Keep up the good work.

And my husband has you beat in the "too many unnecessary calories" department... he can go through 8-10 twelve-ounce cans of Coke in a single day. I used to spend literally $15 a week on canned soda when it was on sale, $20+ if it wasn't.

I encourage it now, though. I'm hoping he drops dead of a heart attack. No luck yet, but I'm adding huge amounts of Ramen noodles and I'll keep you posted. :)