So I've been reading quite a lot this year, most of which I blame on having the Kindle and a fuckton of books for it. It's been really, really easy to try new authors.
Anyway, at the beginning of the year, I decided to do two things. First, to keep a list of everything I read. Never done that before, and I'd kinda like to know just how many books I read in a given year. I think so far this year is a little atypical, but maybe not.
Second, I vowed not to reread a book I've already read. I don't think you realize how difficult this is for me. I'm a huge rereader. Sometimes, I'm just in the mood to revisit a place I've already vacationed to, if you follow me. I've done that a lot with The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Even now, I'd really like to go back and reread Ghost Story, the last book, which I've only read the one time. But ... no. I've made the deal with myself. Going to try to stick to it.
Anyway, I just finished no. 21 yesterday, so thought I'd throw the list so far up here, just in case any of you accidentally drop by and happen to be shopping around for something new to read. All the books on the list are good enough to finish because if I book doesn't hook me, I put it down and move on. Life's too short to waste your time reading something you don't enjoy.
So without further ado...
- The Last Run, by Greg Rucka
- Theft of Swords, by Michael J. Sullivan
- The Digital Plague, by Jeff Somers
- The Electric Church, by Jeff Somers
- The Eternal Prison, by Jeff Somers
- American Assassin, by Vince Flynn
- Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
- The Sentry, by Robert Crais
- The Athena Project, by Brad Thor
- The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson
- Glasslands, by Karen Traviss
- Child of Fire, by Harry Connolly
- Kill Shot, by Vince Flynn
- One Rough Man, by Brad Taylor
- Transfer of Power, by Vince Flynn
- The Magician King, by Lev Grossman
- Storm of Swords (Song of Fire and Ice, Book 3), by George R.R. Martin
- Assassin's Code, by Jonathan Maberry
- Sasha, by Joel Shepherd
- Alpha, by Greg Rucka
- Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson
- Redshirts, John Scalzi
- All Necessary Force, Brad Taylor
- The Third Option, Vince Flynn
- The First Rule, Robert Crais
I could provide book reviews, I suppose, but that's quite a bit bigger undertaking.
My original plan was to read a book a week this year, but I'm off the pace because of Martin. I do not think he's a particularly talented writer, and reading him, in spite of the tale, was a slog. Took me three weeks to get through that book, so I'm two weeks off schedule. I'll have to read something disposable.
Looking up, I wouldn't really recommend Brad Thor. Pretty thin, compared to the other stuff in that genre I've read this year. Anyway, out.
Edit: Another one down! Now I'm only one behind!
Edit 2: As long as this is the top post, I'm going to keep editing the list here. Or something. Definitely caught up. Crime books/thrillers are easy reads. I totally get the summer beach book thing. It's like reading a movie. Course, so is a Dresden book. Damn you, Butcher. Finish the goddamn novel.
Edit: Another one down! Now I'm only one behind!
Edit 2: As long as this is the top post, I'm going to keep editing the list here. Or something. Definitely caught up. Crime books/thrillers are easy reads. I totally get the summer beach book thing. It's like reading a movie. Course, so is a Dresden book. Damn you, Butcher. Finish the goddamn novel.
4 comments:
It's always good to see something from you pop up in my RSS feed!
I don't read a lot of fiction, but am in the middle of the Dresden series. The difference for me is that I started with listening to them as audiobooks during drives to/from Oklahoma.
I got too accustomed to that. I'm too invested in the audiobook version, so I'll probably be finishing it that way. I just finished 'Dead Beat' a couple of days ago.
I've ready the last one. might check out some of the others though
If you are like crime thrillers you could check out Patricia Conwell.
I have the First Rule but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. the first year I had my kindle I read 50 books I hadn't previously read. I'm also a big re-reader.
Post a Comment