I'm not a fan of the Facebook, and here's why.
It represents all the superficiality of the internet. Oh, so you're updating me. So what? It's like watching the nightly news... no substance. It's like the Cliff Notes of someone's life. Yeah, sorry, I still like reading the actual book.
Sure, I can see its uses. Cool for sharing pics. Cool for giving quick updates on events.
But cmon, status updates? "Dude, I have some seriously bad gas."
Stuff like that would be funny, but... Facebook is not just my friends. It's random fuckers from high school whom I didn't even like then. It's people I work with or who I have worked with. It allows anyone from anywhere to be able to find me.
What it doesn't do because of what it does do then is allow me to be completely candid. I can't have something weird about my religious beliefs on there because sure as shit, a potential employer is going to check out my facebook page.
I mean, sure, I know a guy who has two facebook accounts. One for his friends and family, and one for everyone else. Do I really need the attention of "everyone else?"
My answer is no. No I don't. I don't need the attention of the masses. At least, not for me, personally. If I ever actually get off my ass and start writing, I'll want the attention then, but even still, I'll likely keep a blog for that kind of thing, and not a facebook page.
I just don't see how Facebook is any better than a blog. Faster, more seductive, but less rewarding, less insightful. Steph brought up that she likes a good, long blog post now and again. Yeah, same. I'm not questing for brevity from my friends, after all.
So for me, I'm going to continue to use facebook like I do now: when gmail sends me a message saying someone's said something on Facebook to me, I'll go see what they said.
3 comments:
As long as you post here we don't care.
And I hide the people I don't give a shit about but had to add. I may still have to be careful what I say but I don't have to read their shit anymore.
I don't even have a facebook, I've thought about creating one but it never really seems important enough.
All FB has done for me is cause drama and it is bullshit. I keep it because I closed down my blog and my family really wants to know how I am because I am such a recluse and don't contact anyone. I honestly thing FB is for lazy people that want to brag about this or that.
Post a Comment