Mark and I have both been talking about shitcanning cable entirely. At this point, I'm paying just shy of $150 a month for my cable/internet package, and to be honest, Steph and I watch very little of it.
Kaia watches Dora. I watch football. We watch House and Lost, when it's on, and that's about it. Seems like such a waste of money.
I've mentioned it to Steph before, and she's all for it. My only hold up, really, is that I'd like the ability to watch shows when we want to watch them. And also, sports. It's really hard to find a good alternative for live football and college basketball.
And then there's the fact that in order to watch shows, I need some kind of computer/tv interface. I know, technically, I can torrent/buy tv shows and stream them from my NAS to the TV through the Xbox or PS3. But we don't have a desktop, and I'd like a computer of some sort dedicated to the job. Just leave it hooked up to the TV. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse to run it.
I'm thinking of getting one of those Atom-powered mini-pcs so it'll fit in the entertainment center. I think I could do one of those that'll stream HD for less than $400.
Anyway, here's a link from someone who actually tried. I don't imagine he was into sports all that much.
5 comments:
We're making the leap to cable free on the 23rd.
-Barry
I'm sure you're doing all of the research you need to, so I'm sure this is stuff you've already looked into.
Make sure to check out Boxee. (you can even try it on your laptop to make sure it fits your needs) And don't forget that you might be able to buy a cheap digital antenna and get some channels that way.
Also, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse that I'll gladly pass along to you if you want it.
But I'd highly suggest trying to make sure you have an IR remote interface. For me, there's something that breaks the elegance of a setup if you have to reach for a keyboard or mouse just to watch something.
ugh, i just cringe at the thought of paying that much for crap. I don't care what we do, really. I generally just have it on for noise anyway...
There are alternatives to watching shows. We hook up a laptop all the time and watch through the computer. But the sports, that's the tough one. I went several years missing football. And now with another move on the horizon, we'll be ditching the cable again, just using internet. If you find some sports alternatives, let me know.
But honestly, you don't miss it. TV is a waste in most sense of the term.
I've been looking into getting a digital HD antenna. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001FV36E&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Z3CJ9K91H1N0RGM3BPH
At least that way I can watch local games. I'll let you know if I get one.
Post a Comment