So they keep shooting down my suggested column titles at UT. I basically told them that it was my column and if they weren't going to let me name it, to just pick out whatever they wanted. Strangely, the column is still unnamed. Imagine that.
Anyway, as I finished pounding out this week's edition, my last shot came to me in the form of Guitar Hero: Metallica.
That title is: The Cinetarium
Welcome home.
Speaking of that...
I finished the column in record time tonight. It's 10:50pm and I've already sent the fucker off. That means I'm actually going to play some GH: Metallica, and then I'm going to go to bed at a reasonable hour (midnight) for once.
I rule.
Failure
I think about failure a lot. Mostly how I'm afraid of it.
If you ever read about successful people, there's a commonality in the reasons for their success: they are not afraid to fail.
if I could fix one thing about myself, that would be it.
7 comments:
I like the column title.
But I don't think it has to be a lack of fear of failing. I think it's more about not letting the possibility of failure stop you from doing something.
Yeah, it's a nuanced difference. But it's kept me going more than once.
Failure is sitting down to play Guitar Hero. I didn't see Kirk or James sit down once during their show.
guru is right. everyone is afraid of it; you just have to get past it anyway. like i've always said... the only way you get confident about something is to fake the confidence to get you through it.
I have two (somewhat unrelated) views on this subject:
1)Without trying to get too religulous on you, I'd first say that I tend to look at success and failure in terms of what I believe God sees. If you simply equate success and failure with what the world views it as (and says it is), then many of us are failures because we don't make enough money, don't live in a certain house, don't drive a certain car, and haven't achieved a certain level of acclaim and leadership among our peers (whoever they are).
I'd say worry about failing Kaia as a father or worry about failing Steph as a wife. Beyond your family, who else matters?
2)Now, if you just want to see certain things through for yourself (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I have some myself), let me throw out a cliche from sports. As a coach, I don't just want the guys who want to win. Most people want to win if they're playing a game. I want the guys who HATE to lose.
(Sports cliche #2) Coming in second or last isn't failure. Not ever suiting up is.
For everything you've accomplished to this point in your life, I'd say you're not a failure. And if you didn't achieve another freakin' thing in this life except raising a cultured, well-educated, self-confident young woman, I'd still say Mission Accomplished (and not in a GW Bush on the deck of an aircraft carrier sort of way).
Peace,
Pryor
Oh, and the column title is genius. Tell UTW your favorite two word phrase if they don't like it.
If you aren't scared of failure what would push you to succeed?
I thought Failure was a 90's band from LA. :D
And I like the column title. Nicely done sir.
Post a Comment