Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Blahg

First this:


And then the updates.

So I mentioned last week that I had another panic attack. Seems like forever ago at this point. Happened at like 4am that saturday and lasted until about 8am. Imagine, if you will, four hours of feeling like you're going to die, rapid fire adrenaline rushes, chest pains and shortness of breath, every 10 minutes. Like something's blasting the left side of your brain. Like something is literally scaring the hell out of you over and over and over again.

That was then. Went back to the doc last week. He gave me some Xanax. When the nurse handed me the prescription, she said, "Be sure someone's with you the first time you take this."

"Why?"

"It knocks most people out."

Sure enough. I was almost afraid to take them, to be honest. I have a healthy fear of drugs. Past a little alcohol, I've never wanted any part of any kind of drug. I didn't even want to take anti-depressants when the shrink gave me a 50/50 diagnosis and left it up to me.

Took one. Knocked me the fuck out.

Nightime is the worst. I've never been what anyone would call a good sleeper. Takes me awhile, or it seems that way, anyhow. Steph's told me before I pretty much just drop right off. Generally when I lie down at night, my brain doesn't shut off. That's normally. Since the anxiety attack happened, what my brain gnaws on is whether or not my heart is beating okay, and am I getting enough air, or why am I dizzy?

First thing you'll read about panic/anxiety attacks is that worrying about having one will make you have one. So I've got that going for me.

Anyway, at the same time they gave me the script for Xanax, they also wanted to check my thyroid for hyperthyroidism, which is another cause of all my symptoms. So last thursday, I went back and let them stick me again. For a guy who isn't fond of needles, I've become a regular pincushion.

I almost wished it was thyroid. That would've been an easy fix. Anxiety is harder to get a hold on, apparently. So yesterday, I went back to the doc (third time in two weeks). I told the nurse not to take it personally, but that I was getting tired of seeing her.

Doc ended up putting me on 15mg of Buspirone, which is a long-release lower impact version of xanax, really. He said it was in the same family anyway. Started on half a pill twice a day yesterday. Apparently, it takes a week or two to build up in your system, so of course, last night, i had a mini anxiety attack when Kaia woke up in the middle of the night. Had a little bit better handle on it. Had I gone to sleep with the xanax, I wouldn't have had it at all.

But I'll stick it out on the other stuff. I just hope I don't have to go through that every night until it starts working properly. I just want these to end. I've started going to bed earlier. Quit caffiene cold turkey. Worked out four of seven days last week. Whatever I have to do to get better, pretty much.

This weekend, when Pryor was up, he said, "Hey, you think maybe it'd help if you smoked some ganja?"

"Dude, if I thought it would, I'd do it."

12 comments:

Carrie said...

I can only take a half of a xanax. They work really good with me. I only take it if it is so severe.

The first 2 weeks are the hardest. I watched a lot of the 3 stooges in the middle of the night.

Keep working out and getting rest as much possible and you'll be fine. And good for you for stopping the caffiene. I have once a week.

Candice said...

Puff Puff Give, Puff Puff Give!!!!

Anonymous said...

Paaass the dutchie on the left hand side! Paaass the dutchie on the left hand side...

Ain't no doctor... but as the probable token stoner (& yes, pun intended) of the group, I felt a little obligated to chime in.

Thought Jay had a good question and I didn't have a definite answer. So I did a scant bit of online research and it seems to be what I figured. Results could go either way, help or hurt. It really depends on the individual. You could chill to the point of not moving for a couple of hours -or- you could become as paranoid as a homophobe in San Fran on Gay Pride Day. (Can you imagine THAT guy running around all day trying to keep his ass covered!?!)

Given your aversion to drugs in general and the fact that Mary Jane is still illegal (I'll refrain from making any political remarks regarding that at the moment), I think you're better off continuing what you've started and seeing how that works out first before investing in a hookah.

Obviously you should talk to your doctor if you'd like to consider it as an option.

Hope you find something that helps you out.

You could try whistling 'Don't Worry, Be Happy' as a sort of therapeutic mantra...

Okjerm said...

Did Pryor really use the term "ganja?" He's so square.

So, you Holden?

cyclefreaks said...

Pryor, I've been trying to get him to take up the weed for years... LOL It's cigarettes I loathe, not the Mary Jane!! Kidding.

On a weirdly related note, I had a student stump me with the "why are cigarettes legal and marijuana illegal?"

Jones?

Mark said...

Puff up dude.

But please, wait until I'm there to watch in person.

Okjerm said...

Ha ha ha...dude! Uh...uh...what was I going to uh... going to say?

Man, could anyone else go for some Cheetos?

Candice said...

Stick with the daily stuff. And yes, it can take a couple weeks to really kick in and be in your system. And you are better of taking it at the same time everyday.

Anonymous said...

weed is for the weak. You can get control of this with the meds your Dr. is giving you.

Just think of it like an MLG match. You have to get your set up right, do not rush in alone, and once you do, fucking pwn that bitch!!

Anonymous said...

Well, the short answer to why cigarettes are legal and weed illegal is $$$$$.

More $ for cig CEO's because they don't have competition from legalized weed. Piggy-backing on that you have more $ for the medical industry from cig related health problems. Of course, more $ for the police while weed's illegal so that they may combat their war on weed. Which in turn provides more prisoners for our expanding prison industry and that means more $. And let us not forget the lawmakers themselves, who regularly receive -you guessed it- more $ from lobbyists of the cig, medical/pharmaceutical, and prison industries, not to mention the paper and textile manufacturers. Funny how that all works out.

But don't take my word for it, kids.

Here are some public Q&A sites where the question was posed. You'll be able to see the scope of reasons given for the answer. Bear in mind that it's the internet and idiots and a-holes live there too.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080930161401AASM8xi

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/66053

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080214054802AAndHa8

Here's a site that compares weed to alcohol and cigarettes, with supporting documentation.

http://www.mjlegal.org/alctob.html

For more detailed info on the history of how weed became illegal, here's the best site I found. It's interesting & worth the read. Plus there's a short video at the bottom that's pretty good too.

http://marijuana.drugwarrant.com

As they say in those psa's... Knowledge is Power!

...or was that SchoolHouse Rock? I forget.

Andia said...

Just keep up with the meds and give them time to work. The changes you have made should also help. I am just glad you are taking care of yourself. You gotta stick around to teach the little one how to play Halo!

greenGuru said...

I'm with the folks that say "give the meds a chance". I know someone that went through almost the exact same progression and diagnosis. The meds helped him out a lot. And now that he's got it a bit under control, he's reducing his meds and replacing them with meditation and breathing exercises.