So the past couple of days, I've been having pain in my chest.
Yes, that's what I was afraid of, too. But I didn't have any other symptoms for heart attack. No shooting pains. No left arm numbness. No dizziness or sweating. Just chest pain, which honestly I thought was either heartburn or a pulled/strained torso muscle.
Today, Steph and I walked to El Tap for lunch. As we were crossing the street, I told her about the pain in my chest, how I thought it was a muscle strain or something. She made a crack about a heart attack. I said, "I don't have any other symptoms." And that was that.
Get back to work after lunch and plop down in the chair. Taxi and I start talking about the Wii and the 360 and other miscellaneous geek nonsense. All of a sudden, I get this headrush, like something warm flowing up from my lower back to my head. My vision swam and I felt lightheaded.
My first thought, given the earlier chest pain conversation, was oh, fuck, I'm having a heart attack. I reacted irrationally. I got up, got my water glass and went for water. I needed to be moving. I'm not taking a heart attack sitting down, and I suppose deep down, I still have the "walk it off" mentality from childhood sports. Get up, walk for a bit, see if it gets better or worse.
Didn't get better. I had another wave. Then I felt clammy and started sweating. I Googled heart attack symptoms and came up with: chest pain, sweating, lightheadedness, dizziness... fuck. Panic hit me.
So I called Steph. Probably should've called 911, but I called Steph. I'm sure that's another denial mechanism. If I don't have to call the ambulance, it's not as serious. But I was scared shitless by then. I just wanted her to come help me, comfort me, whatever. Again, should've called an ambulance.
By the time she got there, I felt worse, and I kept having panic-induced adrenaline rushes, which made me feel even worse. I was shaky, sweaty, clammy and freaked the fuck out.
We got in the car and drove to the hospital, getting stuck behind the slowest motherfucker in the world, of course. Got to the hospital, parked, went inside. Steph explained I was having some chest pain. The chick behind the counter didn't panic, but kept looking me over, as though she expected me to drop right there. I guess probably that is a possibility when someone shows up claiming chest pain.
Took the ER nurse all of 60 seconds to come get me. She took me to a small room, hooked me up to a blood pressure monitor and asked me a bunch of questions. Finished there, she trucked me back to an ER room. They made me shuck my shirt and put on a gown, though they left me the dignity of my pants. Then they hooked me up to the monitor and prepped me for an EKG.
In order to do that, they had to shave patches on my chest, so much like Steve Carrell in 40 y.o. virgin, I now look like a smirking man0lantern. I had 12 patches on me, which were fun getting off later (fuck that). About then, the Doc showed up and asked me the questions. "How long? Does this hurt? Does that hurt? Do you feel nauseous?"
Then they did the EKG, and the doc said the magic words: "This isn't cardiac. His EKG looks perfect."
They took five vials of blood and did a workup. I had to pee in a bottle and they did a urinalysis. After lying there for 45 minutes, the doc came back.
"Everything is normal. You're as healthy as a horse. So I have no idea what caused this. Come back if it happens again. I'll have the nurse come check you out."
... I thought of that clip from the Choke trailer where the nurse says, "Come back and see us," and Sam Rockwell replies, "Isn't that the worst thing someone can say to you in a hospital?"
Yeah, no thanks.
So... much ado about nothing, I suppose. But the scariest day of my life. All I could think was, "I want to see my baby girl." Ugh. I think I'm cleaning up my diet and getting this weight off. That whole situation was the dog's balls. I don't recommend it.
I'm going to bed. Hope the girl sleeps through the night.
16 comments:
Damn, that sucks. And no answer? That's screwey.
Well, I'm glad you're ok! And that is freaky. Candice been playing with voodoo dolls again?
Know the feeling buddy. Glad it turned out to be nothing.
One thing I might recommend is writing a daily diary for Kaia. You know me with all my jacked up physical problems I've began doing that for Emily. I've been hooked up to all sorts of crap and the prevailing thought is, "I just want to see Emily grow up." So I just decided that I would write down stuff for Emily. Kind of helps me sleep better at nights knowing I've done it.
Glad you are doing better.
Isn't that quote Ricky Gervais in Ghost Town?
Maybe you should switch from listening to speed metal to chanting and ocean sounds.
is it ghost town? fuck if I know. some shitty movie trailer.
I'm just glad we went because if we hadn't, we would still be panicked today that he had been having heart issues and just waiting for the ball to drop...
I wrote Kaia a letter a couple weeks ago, I need to get it in the baby book. And we need to have another baby. :)
Have you ever been checked for panic/anxiety disorders? You don't have to have anything happen to make it kick in. It could be caused from stress. And trust me buddy, you have been stressed.
Remember the movie, "Analyze This" where Bob thinks he is having a heart attack? It is serious shit and it does feel like you are dying.
And as I read this, I was thinking the very EXACT same thing happened to Adam a few years ago and he was also fine. Diagnosed: Anxiety attack.
Nope. Never had a panic or anxiety attack. Hell, I haven't had anything more than a sinus infection or a cold since 7th grade.
+1 for Jerm...
Maybe you should give up Metallica and start listening to Creed and Soul Asylum...
suck it.
I'd sooner hand over my balls in a mason jar.
You would have to ask Steph to give them back to you first. ; )
I'm still glad you checked out healthy. Scary shit.
Steph, you ready for another one already?
I am glad that you are ok. Super scary when you have no idea what the hell is wrong but you know something is.
I would say try some meditation or something that could help.
Classical music in a dark room with candles. Hell you have to take care of yourself.
Plus, Carrie mught be right. I didn't start having panic attacks until I was about 29. They can just come up trust me.
Cory, I went to the ER on Easter for the same thing. I mean, I read this entry and by the end of it, said to myself, "OMG, that's EXACTLY what happened to me," all the way down to normal tests and EKGs.
I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety disorder. I'd also had a viral infection that was making it difficult to breathe, and that was causing the panic attack. How are your allergies right now? Breathing can really impact the brain if it's not all going smoothly...
Carrie's right that it's very serious and feels like a heart attack. Many first-time panic attack sufferers wind up in the ER with heart attack symptoms.
I'm sending more info. to Steph about what happened with me... email me if you want...
The good news is, hey, your blood's clean! Now you just need to convince your brain not to mis-fire on you.
And yes, Easter was my first panic attack EVER and I'm pretty much your age, so... they do happen out of the blue. I was having a really nice dinner, and then I almost fainted. There was no *reason* "to panic," but it hit me like lightning. Often, they happen for no reason whatsoever.
Anyway, if you want to talk some more, call me on my cell or email me. I know a lot now about how to deal with these attacks, and I know I could help you out with this if you need it.
I'm SO glad you're alright... know that I know EXACTLY how you feel!
Awesome. Similar to my experience except you didn't lose vision, memory, or the ability to speak.
Hope you're feeling better man.
Jeez buddy, glad to hear that everything is ok. What an ordeal. I was freaking out while reading it, then had the thought, "Wait, he must be mostly fine since he is writing a blog about it."
It's like when you watch Star Trek and they are in the shit of it, but then you remember that Captn Kirk was writing in his Captain's Log. He's fine...
And as much as I hate to sound redundant, Kelly (my wife) had a very similar situation and it was diagnosed as a Panic attack. But man, I feel you. Sitting in that hospital room thinking you are suffering some crazy heart shit is no good.
Perhaps switching to playing Viva Pinata would calm your stress a little.
Yep, I was also going to suggest panic attacks... I used to have them in my early 20s and thought I had a heart attack after a really bad one. I wouldn't believe that they were panic attacks at the time because I wasn't stressed out when they happened... I guess our bodies can be stressed even when we aren't conscious of it, though.
Post a Comment