Way back in March, I think, Steph and I started a friendly weight-loss competition. I have been sick or had my back go out on me all but one week since then. I assume it's a combination of fatigue and having a new baby in the house.
The past two weeks, I've had my back shit going on and a head/chest full of crap. Pretty close to the beginning of last week, the congestion gave out, but the back stuff flared up on me again. I'm so tired of this. I'm not a get-sick kind of guy. I think last year I missed two days of work because I was sick, and I'm pretty sure those were actually playing hookie. I haven't had anything but a sinus infection in like 10, 12 years or so.
So this is frustrating. I imagine some of you parents out there are going to tell me this doesn't end and welcome to parenthood. Bah. I will not be sick all the time.
That said, it's been a really shitty five days. Kaia came down with a sinus infection thursday night. She ran a high fever (101+) all night and pretty much all of Friday, too. Didn't eat much and whenever she was awake, she screamed. Brutal. Worst two-day stretch of parenting so far.
Fortunately, her ears and chest were clear.
At the same time Kaia got sick, so did steph. She had a head/chest full of crap, a sore throat, and the worst coughing fits I've ever witnessed. At one point Friday night/Saturday morning, she went in our bathroom and curled up in a ball on the floor, her faced pressed into a towel as she coughed so as to not wake Kaia and I up.
Up until yesterday, I'd managed to dodge their crud. But it hit me in the middle of the night Saturday, so now I'm sitting at work alternately sweating and chilling, and not able to go home because my magazine is two weeks out from print date.
What good is 800 hours of sick leave if you can't take it?
*edited: my apologies to Boone for bitching about something as trivial as back pain and sinus infections.
Weekend Otherwise
The weekend was actually pretty busy. Mark came through town Friday and stayed with us, though we didn't really get to hang out much on account of Kaia being hysterically sick. Sorry, dude. It'll be better next time.
Saturday, the grandma and uncle (and cousins) came up. Kaia was still sick and screaming and only wanted mom or dad. Grandma complained about everything, and wanted multiple pats on the back for buying Kaia a bouncy seat. GJ, grandma.
The highlight of the day went something like this:
Grandma: Do you want me to help with some of this laundry?
Steph: No, but there's a sink full of dishes in the kitchen if you're so inclined.
So grandma did the dishes. Which is nice. The uncle took us to Texas Roadhouse, which was nicer. Best steak I've had in a long time. Cooked a perfect medium rare (we can debate this, but you'll lose. The only way to really have a good steak is medium rare. Anything else and it's overcooked and you're missing out). He also let me drive around in his 2008 Accord. Badass car.
Still, it was a little busier than I'd have liked for a Saturday.
Sunday was just as busy as I had the 2nd job to contend with and Mom came to visit. Fortunately, Kaia was mostly back to normal, so she had a lot of smiles for her grandma, which was nice. Mom gave steph and I some money and told us to go have an anniversary dinner.
We just ran to El Tap. Something quick and not too expensive. Neither of us had showered, I don't think. and I felt like ass.
See the theme?
Never Google Yourself
So last week, a bunch of the guys started another round of "Google Your Name." About page 7 or so, I find this blog of this guy in tulsa. Can't remember his name and I don't want to reGoogle myself.
Anyway, what he basically says is a) I must have family at urban tulsa to have my job, and b) that I never provide any insight into the films I review. Then someone comments that my writing makes their eyes bleed.
I'm fairly tough skinned when it comes to my writing. I have 10 years of hate mail under my belt at UT. I know I can write, and I think there are plenty of people out there who actually do enjoy the column. I know the guy is just a no-name douchebag.
Still not fun to read though.
6 comments:
People are haters. You're a hater. It's only fitting that there are haters who hate the hater.
:D
Think it's the guy who works at Borders???
Dude, never apologize for bitching about being sick. Feeling like crap is feeling like crap--regardless of the cause.
I hope everyone in the house gets to feeling better.
Oh, I hope everyone gets well soon. I personally find your column an excellent read and more often than not, spot on with my personal opinions of the movies you review.
That guy was just a dick...
I made more trips to the Dr. this year than I have in a long time. At one point, I actually got enraged about it - ridiculous. Hopefully you guys will be feeling good soon.
And your wife's comment has to be in her top ten of funny comments she's made. If it's the guy at Borders . . . I'll invite him to my jiu jitsu class - and make sure somebody films it.
Couldn't find the hater, but I did find a blog with the following comment:
"meeciteewurkor said:
I laughed all the way through Cory's movie review article I read in the green issue.
His wit and humor is very infectious and hilarious. And you get a good movie review at the same time.
He is to be commended."
Your writing doesn't make eyes bleed. And just think, it's better than if he said it made his ass bleed, or something!
I hope all you guys feel better soon!!!!!!!
Post a Comment