I can't speak for Steph, but I'm exhausted so far, though I can see how you'd get adjusted. It's not like we're not getting to sleep. We're just not getting to sleep for very long.
On the plus side, the girl is eating well. She's consistently hitting the 40cc mark, which is good. I still have a huge deal of anxiety about feeding her. In fact, it's my least favorite thing to do with her so far. I worry too much that she won't eat.
Last night.... sorry. This morning at her 5:00am feeding, she ate like 10ccs, then passed out. I started freaking out. I couldn't get her to wake up. I carried her around. Unburritoed her. Everything I could think of.
Then she let out these two hair raising burps, all without ever opening her eyes, then downed the another 34ccs of milk. Like a champ. It's unbelievably reassuring it is to hear her swallowing.
Ugh. Soooooo much stress for me.
Still, she's sleeping well and we're not having to "worry" as much about all her strange noises, so that's good.
This morning as I was trying to leave for work, it was time for the next feeding and I thought I'd help Steph by changing Kaia. I got the old diaper off, pausing in case of last-minute deposits, then moved it to the dump. While I was doing that, Kaia apparently decided she'd gotten the better of me and peed all over my hand and wrist.
I stood there for a second going, why am I getting wet... ah, dammit.
The other large part of my stress right now is my magazine. It has to go to print Monday, and all my interviews were scheduled for the week Kaia was born. So to say I'm scrambling is putting it mildly. If I pull this off, they owe me a raise.
It shouldn't be a situation where I can't miss work or the thing doesn't get completed, but it is. If I had a proper staff, the magazine could've carried on with minimal supervision by me. But no. And I won't have.
Phil and Kim have been keeping up with the Photography and Design, which is awesome. But then, I generally don't have to worry about them. I have to worry about every slackass writer I've had to beg (or coerce) into writing for me to actually do what they say they're going to do.
Anyway, I'd rather be at home helping Steph get some rest. Fortunately, her mom is there. Not sure what we'd do without her.
And with that, I have an interview to go do for my magazine. OSU Cheerleading coach. Should be interesting. Everyone says she's "hardcore."
Thanks for the gifts and well-wishes. Keep 'em coming (the well-wishes, not the gifts; you guys have all performed above and beyond).
out.
7 comments:
Very happy that she's home and eating. I can tell you that you never stop worrying about the noises they make even as they grow older.
The funny thing is that she's the only girl you will have pee on you that you don't seem to have a problem with it. Same goes for vomiting or pooping. Just part of the gig.
Try to nap when you can, eventually you will catch up on sleep in about 6 months.
Jay - I wanna know your secret. I haven't had a newborn in 2-1/2 years and I still haven't caught up on sleep. Looks like I'm screwed, too, because I will have another newborn in about 5 months.
Anyway, Cory - just think, if she was a boy, the pee would have arced straight into your face instead of going all over your hand and wrist. Hell, I even had one GIRL that could do that.
And that's never as much fun as when they realize that they're not done pooping until you get the diaper off. Hint: keep new diaper open and ready to slide under bare butt the INSTANT the old diaper comes off. Don't worry about folding it up and tossing it until the new one's on and fastened.
And drop a dry washcloth over possible liquid-spraying areas as soon as they're exposed, if you don't get that new diapie on within two nanoseconds. It's the cold air that makes em pee on you.
Damn you guys, I think its funny he got peed on. It won't happen again if you give him pointers. ; )
So, confession time, I don't remember changing a diaper, ever. So someone will have to teach me, and Mark. Maybe we can help you guys when we visit and you can get a nap or something.
Oh Auntie Candice, don't you worry. You and Uncle Poo Poo will have plenty of opportunities to change diapers. And just for the record, we had no experience either. I changed one wet diaper on a nephew and Cory said he thought he'd also changed one once. Now imagine those same two people changing diapers on a 4 1/2 pound baby with monitors and cords all connected ... you figure it out. You just aren't that fast but that will come with practice. :)We are already way better than we were the first time!
We actually put the new diaper under her before we ever start taking off the dirty one. :)
I was giving my little cousin a bath one time and I had him stand up so I could get him out and I felt a sudden rush of warm water on the bottom of my shirt. I was like what the .....oh no! I looked at him and he was just standing there smiling! After I got him dressed and everything I changed and just busted up laughing. The smile he had cracked me up.
I can change diapers but its the drool and spitup and vomit that I don't know if I can handle.
I'm pretty close with my nephews and you just wait until you get puked on. Now that one makes your eyes water.
That's some good stuff right there. I'm pretty sure I've never changed a diaper either. (and I'm not sure how badly I want to learn...)
But you know that you'll be pros in no time. My sister was the last person I ever thought would get the hang of it and now she can do it in her sleep.
Post a Comment