So Jerm sends me this IM yesterday...
"Where are the updates? We got more when she was in the hospital than we do now that she's at home!"
Ah, right. That's because we're now enduring the Parental version of Sisyphus's labor. Every three hours, we get Kaia up, take her temperature, change her diapers, get peed on, change the diaper again, feed her, hold her while she falls asleep, put her back in bed. Depending on how quickly that process goes, we repeat it in 1.5-2 hours.
We'll say two for the purposes of this blog. During those two hours, depending on the time of day, we'll either eat, sleep, talk or perhaps, if we're lucky, watch a little tv or read. In Steph's case, she has to do the pumping thing, so she's really in the 1.5 hour range.
Surprisingly, I don't feel as wrecked as I thought I would. Then again, Steph's been giving me a six hour block to sleep in so I can come to work and crank on the magazine. Right now, I handle the 8pm, 11pm and 2am feedings. Steph's getting the 5 & 8am and then the rest during the day, though I'm sure Grandma is taking one of those.
Kaia's been eating really well. She's doing 40ml easy every time, and yesterday she downed more than 60ml (a whole bottle) in one shot.
Steph mentioned on her blog that we had the first appt. with the Pediatrician yesterday. She said Kaia's doing awesome. So there is that. She also told us we don't have to be so regimented about the feeding schedule, but ... if we're not, we don't get any sleep. Anyway, she's almost up to five pounds. I expect her to hit it if not by tomorrow then by this weekend.
The other day, I googled "Things that weigh five pounds." I wanted to put up a list of things that weigh more than Kaia. I keep saying she's smaller than a bag of sugar to put it into perspective for people. Bag of Flour. Probably less than a six pack of beer, er, soda.
She's getting bigger already, though. She'd already grown an inch (she was 17 inches when we left the hospital and now she's 18 and change). Every day, I feel she's less and less fragile, which is awesome. I've already lost a lot of my anxiety about her eating.
So that's the update. Three o'clock and alls well.
3 comments:
That's my girl! She is a strong girl and makes me so proud! I really am going to have to rush the clothes I'm sending you so she can wear the preemie outfit before she out grows it. : )
I can't wait for next weekend, like dancing a jig over here! I will be taking so many pictures and hopefully holding her every chance I get. Sorry guys.
Mark laughed at me last night when I told him I wanted to go see her every month. Six weeks max. She will grow so much the first year and I don't want to miss it!
We had (until recently) a bread box that we got as a wedding present. Too bad, we could have used that as a judge of how big she is.
Thanks for the update! Sounds like things are going well.
Post a Comment