So she ate better yesterday. She actually took 30ccs from one of her bottles yesterday, and Steph got her to take 23 at one point. Not great yet, but getting better every day, seems like.
Last night, we'd just held her for an hour while she fed through the tube. We knew she needed her diaper changed before we left, so we put her in her crib and set about wrestling with her. Well, that woke her up. We finished the re-burritoing, and then waited on her to drift back to sleep. And waited. And waited.
She could either see us or smell us or something because the little bugger tried as hard as she could to stay awake. She didn't cry, she just kept her eyes open and tried to follow us around her crib. I've said before I can't walk away from her right now when her eyes are open. For 30 minutes this went on, each minute meaning we'd get home later and later. We finally decided to try picking her up and rocking her.
Sure enough, not five minutes after I sat down with her, she was out cold. That, my friends, is a bad precedent. But they say you can't hold a newborn enough... and I have no problem with that.
Steph is still getting pretty tired pretty quickly. I keep forgetting she just gave birth, traumatically, a little more than a week ago. It's hard getting enough water while we're doing this routine, hard to eat enough, hard to find time to rest, especially without a bed for her to lie down in. And it's not like we have a lot of downtime between feedings. We'll either have to run out for food, or to get some errands done (like last night, we dashed to near Penn Square Mall so we could get a baby gate). So exhausting. It is for me, I can't imagine how bad it is for her.
And we're getting ready to leave again. I'm actually sitting at home right now in the living room watching the snow fall and waiting for Steph to wake up. We need to get on the road soon before more snow piles up. I'm already anticipating it taking a couple hours for us to get there instead of the usual one, and I'm prepared to have to stay in OKC tonight. On the plus side, the snow is not sticking too bad to the roads so far, so here's hoping this trip isn't as bad as I think it's going to be.
Anyway, gotta pack and get on the road. More later.
4 comments:
Babies are MEANT to be held. Many hospitals advocate "Kangaroo Care" in the NICU, where they wrap you in a sling and you go skin-to-skin with the baby for as long as you can. That helps babies immensely... she just came from being completely inside her mommy and now she's expected to sleep in a big (to her) ol' lonely crib all by her tiny self. So hold her... and hold her... and hold her... remember, you CANNOT "spoil" a baby.
Spoil means ruin. Loving a child will never ruin them. I think it's so sweet for you to just cuddle her to sleep.. gives me warm fuzzies!!!
(PS - I co-sleep with my kids, because it's so much more comforting for them. My 2-1/2 year old daughter still sleeps beside me at night. I get no end of grief about that from my family - they say she'll "never" sleep on her own. But my almost-5 year old does, and he co-slept until nearly age 4. And I've also never seen a 16-year old co-sleeping, so I know eventually she'll branch out.. LOL!)
We did the kangaroo thing yesterday... she was calm at first but then got really squirmy and fussy. Cory swears she was wanting to latch onto my breast because she could smell me so well that close. Anyway, it was awesome for me but we decided she was working way too hard and took her out and wrapped her up so she could sleep.
*sigh* :) Talk about warm fuzzies...
I'll do the kangaroo thing! No milk here so its safe.
awesome pics man...I am glad things are coming around..even it is a little bit, by little bit..
Post a Comment