Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Contact! s

Yeah, so I really haven't gotten to wear them a whole lot. Steph says I don't wear them more often than I do, and she's right. It's not for lack of wanting, however.

I had one week where my fucking eye got scratched, either by a dog hair or a feather in the feather pillow. That was the suck. No practice for a week. I'm slowly getting better and putting them in and taking them out.

Today at lunch, I put the right one in inside-out. holy hell, that is not a good time. It's so uncomfortable, it makes my stomach turn and want to retch. it's like someone's scratching your entire eye. Fuck all. Compounding that, however, is the fact that I still suck at taking them out. So I have this thing on my eye that hurts and makes me want to yack my lunch but that I can't immediately remove.

OOoooh my eye!

Same Ol Pokes
So I was sitting there Saturday, watching the Pokes choke, thinking: This is fucking up my entire magazine. No longer can I just be disgusted by the loss, I have to think about how I now have two photo spreads I can't fill and a feature story I can't write.

Balls. They'd better pull their fucking heads out.

7 comments:

Candice said...

Suck it up and learn to touch your eyes. If I can do it you can. : )

Wow, football season took on a whole new meaning for you this year.

Buddha said...

Inside out hurts. Have you had it fold up and get stuck in the corner underneath your eyelid yet? That's even a better time. Fortunately I've never had a problem with the touching the eyeball thing, but I watched my mom do it for as far back as I can remember. Weird what you take from your parents, huh.

Now that I know the Poke Choke directly effects your job, it's doubly disconcerting to watch it happen. Maybe you should always have a player profile or something ready for a back-up. Cause you know, unfortunately, it's gonna happen again, and again, and probably again.

Damn that Poke Choke! It's like the Curse of the Bambino or something.

cyclefreaks said...

C, I had no idea you wore contacts.

I always watched my mom and sister put contacts in. It's weird. My mom wore them back when they were hard.

Angie said...

I wore hard contacts clear up until last year, because my vision is so bad it's damn near in legally-blind status. It's hard to get my prescription in soft lenses but getting even harder to afford RGP lenses. The thing with those is, you don't really have to touch your eye. You "pop" them out and just barely tap to get them in. These soft things SUCK, as mentioned in your post.

I actually had one slurp its way so far up onto the top of my eye I couldn't even feel it anymore. I had to look all the way down and then poke around to try and get it out of there. I've had them tear, fold up and fall out. I even managed to get distracted one morning and put both in one eye (damn hangovers). I NEVER had problems like that with the rigid ones. I have worn contacts for over 20 years and while these soft ones are a lot more comfortable, I can't see for shit with them in.

I feel your pain.

Unknown said...

If you would just have a stroke and lose half your sight in both eyes you could touch your eye without a problem. If you can't see the finger coming you don't start blinking uncontrollably.

That's my advice...let me know if it helps :)

Candice said...

I wore them for a while years ago. I was taking photography and they messed with me getting things in focus so I stopped wearing them. I even had colored contacts.

Buddha said...

I had color contacts once too. Wore them one Halloween and unbeknownst to me they actually glowed under a black light. Made my costume helluva lot cooler. So I guess sometimes there's an upside.